Apparently "Rickety Rocket" is a 70s/80s cartoon series about four teenagers and their rickety rocket. Does anybody remember it? I don't. Because at that time I was pooing my pants, a day was a month, a month was a lifetime and the universe was the wide open park adjacent to the place where I grew up...

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Treasure is everywhere

Record shops are full of treasure. Here is a great pasttime for a rainy afternoon: Find a friend with a sense of humor, go to a second hand record shop and spend ten minutes looking for the worst album cover you can find. You and your friend will most likely end up laughing your heads off. There was a time in the 60s, 70s and 80s when quirky layouters would come up with a vast range of breathtaking adsurdities...
Take a look at Slim Goodbody - can you imagine what his music may sound like? What may the "FREE full-color activity poster" look like and what on earth would it make you do? Discoveries like this can make your day, you can bottle them up for another rainy day, a shitty everyday moment of murkiness lightened up by their vivid memory.

The music video of "I Wanna Love You Tender" by Armi & Danny is another one of those peaches. Not only is the dancing choreography ridiculously awkward and the lyrics totally naft, but I think it is the grammar that adds a pinch of grandeur ("How can I be sure you're not pretender?") to a great artwork. I want Slim Goodbody and Armi & Danny to team up! I want a music industry that cherishes quirky detail and serendipidous crappiness! I want a museum for artists like Slim Goodbody and Armi & Danny!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You shouldnae be too harsh on poor Armi and Dani because of their lack of articles. After all they're Finnish, and all Finns have problems with their articles (except perhaps the Swedish-speaking ones) as there aren't any in their barbaric language.

I personally liked the triple whammy of :

'Oh, you're absolutely fine,
Your lips have taste of wine,
I'd like to think you're mine.'

Here's a bunch of other rubbish album covers for you:

Mew 'And the Glass Handed Kites'
Hüsker Dü 'Warehouse: Songs & Stories'
Newtown Grunts 'Day of the Jakey'
Black Sabbath 'Paranoid' (initially the album was going to be named after the first song 'War Pigs' but this was changed at the last minute. So the album cover tries to depict a war pig. Mmmm.....)

I found this site. Seems tailor-made for you:

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/worst-album-covers

Also, take a look at this Kraftwerk video from 1981:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZt64_XOflk

I especially like 1.27-1.40 mins. Real rockin' stuff!!!

Ta ta fir the nou,

Al

Anonymous said...

wow, the kraftwerk gig looks like a great nerd convention! Amazing!